Join me on the search for virtuosity in fashion, interior design and decorative objects, and experience their discovery with me. Just call me Appreciator-in-Chief!

Friday, October 5, 2012

Ethnic Treasure

On my European trip after graduating from college, I had the classic "Europe on $5.00 a Day" itinerary all mapped out, with my sister and college roommate.

Luxembourg Airlines, Eurailpass, and enough money for three months of travel down to the minute of the return flight, 1970 prices to be sure!

Everything went according to schedule until we decided to go to Ibiza. The money and the plans got a bit curtailed after that, but that is another story!

After a boat trip from Barcelona to Ibiza, with the attendant meeting on board of various student types on their way to Kathmandu and ashrams in India - and invitations to accompany said types - we landed in Ibiza ready for some fun in the Mediterranean sun.

Who should we meet literally one step off the boat, but a group of Dutch guys, who steered us to great housing right off the ocean, and in close proximity to all the fun? We had a great time, of course, but we didn't meet Mick Jagger.

We then went back by car to Geneva after two weeks on Ibiza with one of the Dutch boys who had a car.

Fast forward to three weeks later, in Amsterdam, where, walking down a back street by a canal, we encountered the same group of guys!

We were amazed, but what was more amazing was the shop we happened to be standing near as we were chatting.

Bell over the door, I chanced inside, as I had seen some lovely items (that might be souvenir-worthy) in their multi-paned 17th century Vermeer-like window. Charmed, I was sure.

I in fact found something that I have loved to this day; a set of Russian dolls in their ethnic costumes, painted, and adorned with tissue headdresses.

About 4" tall each, there were four. I parted with the equivalent of a dollar for these beautiful dolls.

These many years later, I was so reminded of that moment when I found the Kenzo Spring/Summer Collection of 2011 online.

The over the top references, explosion of color and headdress, layer upon layer of patterns and fabrics, everything represented and worn simultaneously, from Ecuadorean hats to three foot headdresses to Azerbaijan national costumes and wraps and capes and five skirts - just the splendor of the full collection on view took me back to that day on that canal, and to a very carefree time in my life.

And a few years later, after that trip, I married a Dutchman.  Life is so interesting, isn't it?


















See more at our Pinterest board http://pinterest.com/rarewonderblog/kenzo/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© IN SEARCH OF THE RARE AND WONDERFUL, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena